Here are my two cents on common core standards and there implementation: I like the idea of common core. The emphasis on analysis, critical thinking, and authentic assignments is crucial for student learning and future concept application. For science, good teaching is common core. The idea of cross-cutting concepts and/or cross-curricular connections is also an emphasis that is necessary. To make knowledge fluid and easily adaptable, students have to use it in a number of different settings in school and out of school. Unfortunately, I think the tactic for implementation is flawed. The all-in approach that school systems are taking where common core standards are implemented at every grade level right off the bat does not make a lot of sense to me. It seems that funding, material gathering, teacher training, etc. would be much more easily achieved if the grade levels came in to common core standards one by one. For example, the first year first grade would implement them. The next year, second grade, etc. Then, the students who began in the standards would continue and finish in them and can be better held accountable for their learning.
I don't think I could have said it any better myself. The idea of CCSS is awesome, but the implementation -- not so much. I've noticed over the course of this year that the kids seem to be having a harder time transitioning from NCBL, etc. standards to CCSS than the teachers do.
ReplyDelete